Jasmine's pond of dreams

Jasmine's pond of dreams

Friday, June 15, 2012

Draw Different

I'm always looking to sharpen my skills and learn new things. I'd like to share a few. In the first drawing I drew a group caricature. I really focused on exaggerating the shapes that I saw. I paid careful attention to the angles because I often straighten them up. Walt Stanchfield used to always get on my case about that. I went for expression rather than accurate description.

Here's an inside look at a typical story brainstorm session. Lots of caricatures get drawn. It sharpens our edge. Don't you wish you could have draw like that in school without getting yelled at? (CLICK TO ENLARGE)


Another way to draw different is to use your other hand. I'm left handed so I drew these with my right hand. With practice you can actually get pretty good at it. Anything that breaks you out of ruts is a good thing. When you use your other hand, your brain is forced to pay attention and not use it's normal default mode. 




Here I was using a space box to help define the space. I thought what if Superman got stuck in a phone booth. It fun to add little stories to your drawings. I find I draw better if I have some story rather than just drawing a model.




No comments:

Post a Comment